- 5” round (350 g) Brie, Camembert or any soft rind cheese
- 1½ cups (225 g) B.C blueberries – fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp (30 g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (pinch) black pepper
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) salt
- Sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ cup (75 g) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Yields 1 wheel and 3 cups of compote
- Cut the cheese round in half horizontally. Place bottom half, cut side up on a serving platter. Set aside at room temperature with the top half of cheese.
- In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, red wine, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and salt to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered on a medium heat for approximately 20-30 minutes, until reduced to a thick compote.
- Add the whole rosemary sprig in the last 2 minutes of cooking, then remove.
- Spoon half the hot compote over the bottom half of cheese. Cover with the top half of cheese (cut side down) and top with remaining compote and hazelnuts.
- Serve with fresh fruit and crackers.